Thursday, September 9, 2010

Long Tail Stripey Hat Pattern, As Promised


Materials Needed:

2 Colors of Worsted Weight Yarn – Color A and Color B ( I used Vanna’s Choice)

Size H Crochet Hook

Note: ch 2 counts as first stitch

Size: 12-24 months. I didn't write it into the pattern, but you can make the hat bigger by adding more sts in RNDS 3 and 4 of the hat and a couple of more rounds after RND 12. You can make it smaller by adding less sts in RNDS 3 and 4, and omitting RNDS 7-8, and possibly RND12 to make it shorter. You can also adjust the length of the tail to suit your needs.

Tail:

With color A and H hook, ch6. Slst to form circle.

RND 1: 12 hdc’s in circle. Slst to join.

RND 2: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join.

Switch to color B without fastening off color A. Just be sure to keep the color A yarn on the inside of the tube, and out of the way.

RND 3: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join.

RND 4: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join.

Switch back to color A without fastening off color B. Remembering to keep the color B yarn on the inside of the tube, and out of the way.

Continue crocheting tube. Alternate between color A and color B every two rounds. Each round should have 12 hdc’s. Crochet until you have 16 stripes (8 of each color), ending with two rounds of color B. Do not fasten off. Switch to color A.

Begin hat:

RND 1: Ch2. Hdc in same st as joining, 2 hdc’s in each stitch around to end. Slst to join.

RND 2: Ch2. 1 hdc in same st as joining. *1hdc in next st, 2hdc’s in next st,* repeat from * around. Slst to join. Switch to color B.

RND 3: Ch2. *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in each of next two sts,* repeat from * around. Sl st to join.

RND 4: Ch 2. 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in each of the next four sts,* repeat from * around. Sl st to join. Switch to color A.

RNDS 5-6: Ch 2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join. Switch to color B.

RNDS 7-8: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join. Switch to color A.

RND 9: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join.

RND 10: Ch2. Hdc in each st around, and at the same time, decrease 10 sts evenly spaced around (about every 4-5 sts). Slst to join. Switch to color B.

RND 11: Ch2. Hdc in each st around, and at the same time, decrease 5sts evenly spaced around (about every 8 sts, or so). Slst to join.

RND 12: Ch2. Hdc in each st around to end. Slst to join. Switch to color A.

RNDS 13-15: Ch1. Sc in each st around to end. Slst to join. Switch to color B.

RND 16: Ch1. Sc in each st around to end. Slst to join. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

Make a pom pom and attach to the end of the tail. A tutorial on how to make a pom pom can be found HERE.

Glossary:

ch: chain

slst: slip stitch

sc: single crochet

hdc: half double crochet

decrease (dec): single crochet – {Insert hook into next st, yarn over hook (yo), draw a loop through} twice, yo, draw through all three loops on hook.

half double crochet – {yo, insert hook into next st, yo, draw a loop through, yo, draw through first two loops} twice, yo, draw through all three loops on hook.

And there you have it. Let me know if you have any questions, or if there are any mistakes. :) Please feel free to make as many hats as you wish for your own personal use, or to sell. I only ask that you not sell this pattern in any form. Thanks!!

2 comments:

Kayli said...

I love this hat! Thank you so so much for posting the pattern. I've seen hats like this but the only patterns I've seen cost money--I'm glad I stumbled across your blog.

If that's your little boy in the picture, he's adorable in his hat.

I'm having a baby boy in Dec and made a little one for him--I hope it fits!! When I first started the hat I thought it would take hardly any time at all, which it wouldn't have, if I hadn't ripped all my work out about three times trying to get it to look how I wanted. I finally had to end up crocheting SUPER DUPER loosely. But I think it worked in the end.
Thanks again!

T&T Photography said...

Thank you so much for this post. I was just about to place an order for a similar hat when I stumbled upon this one. You saved me $5. LOL! Super cute hat ... even cuter baby!